Friday, March 20, 2015

snare complex.....

.

Ok.

I've been saying that the chemistry and machinery that sustain life are so complicated it's mind-boggling to contemplate (let alone to try to understand).

This image shows one small corner of what it takes for one neuron to talk to another.  You (and I, and all of us) engage all of this (and so much more) every time one of your neurons contributes to your ability to see, hear, feel a touch, form a thought, move a muscle, etc., etc., etc.....................


Exocytosis-machinery

Wow, eh?

It occurred to me that I wondered how many times a day we engage all of this, so I went looking.

"To ruthlessly simplify, treating all 86 billion neurons in the human brain as copies of that a single 'typical' neuron, ignoring all of the glorious cellular specificity that characterizes the brain, we’re left with a range of 86 billion to 17.2 trillion action potentials per second.

PER SECOND, not per day! And that's just the brain.....

While most of our neurons are in our brains, a lot are not...........

I don't use this word unless I mean it -- awesome......... !!!

.

No comments: