Friday, April 17, 2015

so -- do you still have a landline?

.

We still have a landline, but I'm seriously thinking about dumping it.

I've kept it this long, because it has been utterly reliable.  I've had this line since the early 1970s, and it has been down exactly one (1) time in the last ~45 years.  Regardless of whether we have power, the landline is up and available.  Period.

But.

My nose is being rubbed (by the service provider) in the fact that it costs $40 a month.  We make about 4 calls a month on the land line.  That's pretty darned expensive!

I do use it to tell the power company that they need to come fix the power.  But we make essentially no outgoing calls, and essentially all of the incoming calls are from people we don't know who want something.

Hard to justify the expense.

Shutting it off hurts me in the nostalgia.  I've had that number for a LONG time!  But I'm not really seeing nostalgia as a good-enough reason to keep paying almost $500 a year for a service we basically do not use.

Have you still got a landline?  For reasons other than nostalgia?  Do tell -- I'm wrestling with this.......

.

No comments: